If you read horror, you’re probably aware of DarkFuse’s closing by now. This means that Conduits is no longer available except as an audiobook. I’ll be trying to find a new home for the ebook (and possibly print) version, but in the meantime, give it a listen–Margy Stein is a fantastic narrator!
Prison Made of Mirrors is now available as an audiobook as well. Details are here. I’m still working on the Firebird audiobook; life got in the way this summer, but I promise it’s coming soon.
I have a couple of new projects in the works–one for cosmic horror fans and one for paranormal romance lovers–so stay tuned over the next couple of months!
Mara is a Japanese-American girl with a history of personal tragedy. Though she still cuts herself to quell the pain, she thought the worst was behind her. But her boyfriend’s sudden death, and a visit to one of the most haunted places in Washington State, sends her into a spiral of madness, landing her in a psychiatric ward.
Already suffering from dreams of a strange, ghost-infested house in the woods, Mara begins to question the very existence of reality. She is forced to confront the truth about her older sister’s death and the reason the ghosts have chosen her as their conduit.
I’ve been crap at updates recently, but there’s good reason for it, I PROMISE. In this post you’ll find a quick rundown of those reasons (i.e. everything that’s releasing/I’m working on in 2017, subject to change).
This erotic horror series officially debuts this month, but you can get started with a couple of teasers, one of which is my story “Suck.” Check it out here.
It’s been a busy year (in a good way!) and looks to stay that way through the end of 2016. In roughly chronological order, here’s what’s coming up for the rest of the year and what’s on deck after that. Read the rest of this entry →
Anyone who has ever had a pet knows the inevitable will happen, and that the circle of life is cruel and unavoidable. But when a dog, cat, horse, or other creature dies in a genre movie, the circumstances are often shaped by bizarre forces—supernatural, weird-science, and otherwise—that make a tragic loss even worse. Here are nearly two dozen of the saddest fates of pop culture’s furry friends.
Like many if not most writers, I have a book addiction. Rare is the day I can walk into a bookstore and walk out empty-handed. I’ve bought twenty in the last three weeks alone (OK–three of those were for my husband and one purchase was a five-book set). As I mentioned in my previous post, my office doubles as a library because I so love being surrounded by books.
I started off the week by finishing Michael Lesy’s Wisconsin Death Trip. I love non-fiction; this book, a chronicle of Midwestern life’s brutal reality at the turn of the century and told through newspaper clippings and photos, is a treasure trove of mini-horror stories.
I followed up by reading Clive Barker‘s The Hellbound Heart which is, of course, the basis for Hellraiser. Clive Barker has been one of my biggest influences since I first read The Books of Blood as a teenager, and I always enjoy returning to the writers who inspired me to become one myself.
Having completed that, I decided finally to commit to a series I’ve been wanting to read for quite some time now: J. R. Ward‘s Black Dagger Brotherhood. Thus I am currently reading Dark Lover which, a quarter of the way in, is already making me eager to tackle the rest of the series. (I’ve also got a paranormal romance on tap for next year, so this counts as research!)
Apologies for being utterly terrible at updating this blog with real posts lately. This year is going to be my busiest yet, so I thought I’d do a quick round-up of what’s coming in the next nine months. I hope you’re as excited as I am!
1. What’s Left of Me (The Firebird Trilogy #2): Officially in production. Release date is July 26!
2. Beautiful Things: Now that I have the rights back since the original publisher went kaput at the end of 2015, I’m releasing a second edition. This one will be revised and expanded, so if you were wishing for more of Mitzi and Wolfrik, you’re going to get it! I’m aiming to have this out sometime around the end of June. Doubly excited about this one because a dear friend and fantastic artist is doing the new cover. More details soon!
3. No One on Earth: This is a m/m sci-fi romance novella I’m writing for After Glows Publishing’s winter holiday anthology. First draft is done!
4. “The Wind Whispers ‘Witiko'”: OK, so I spent YEARS trying to sell this story, and at WHC 2015 in Atlanta, I was fortunate enough for one of Black Mirror Press’s co-owners to sit beside me. We struck up a conversation, exchanged info, and a few months later I was invited to submit to their first anthology, Snowpocalypse. My wendigo story finally sees the light of day!
5. Prison Made of Mirrors: My novella-length dark fantasy retelling of Snow White, with Vikings and werewolves, releases from Vagabondage Press later this year.
Things Not So Set in Stone:
Upcoming projects include the final book in The Firebird Trilogy (as-yet untitled, but I’ll be starting work on it within the next few days), the paranormal romance I’ve started three or four times now and finally figured out where I want to go with it, and a romance short story for a project I can’t talk about yet. I’ve also finished a vampire short story that I’ll be submitting for anthology consideration. Other things possibly happening this year if I have time: a m/m shifter romance novella and a holiday hockey romance novella.